Wednesday, April 2, 2008

TV - Sense and Sensibility

Beautiful production!! Of course, seen on HD, which enhances it. MUCH better adaptation than Persuasion, better camerawork and direction. Of course, it hacks up the book too, but less ridiculously than Persuasion. Very broad strokes. Irritating at first, but it's more 'updated' and 'modern', so I stopped comparing it to the book, and watched it on its own merits. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Of course, now I will re-read it anyway.

The women were all perfectly cast and all so talented! The flighty silliness and evil women characters were very toned down. I loved the dignity of Mrs. Dashwood. Gorgeous woman too. While Elinor is done up plainer, she's no less pretty, and great performance. Marianne is pretty, and Margaret is a most beautiful little girl! Even creepy Fanny, Lucy and Mrs. Jennings were right on and entertaining.

The men were somewhat disappointing. Only Edward was dashing enough, kinda, but didn't appeal. Brandon was great, but looked 45 rather than 35, which I couldn't get past, especially as he wants to get it on with a 17 yr-old. Willoughby was not good-looking at all, and he didn't appeal either. And he's supposed to be even cuter than Edward.

All the negative points aside, on the whole it was very entertaining and well-done.

No comments: