Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Movie - Shutter 2004 (Thai)

So I saw a TV preview of this new movie, got curious, and looked it up. Had enough market horror, bring on the make-believe too, why not. Shades of Ringu, The Grudge, etc. Discovered it was a remake of a Thai movie, and even better, someone was kind enough to put it on Youtube, so I got to watch it...well, on the computer, anyway.

Really liked this movie! I was disappointed because it wasn't very scary, but that could be due to any/all of the following: 1) Not on a bigger screen, 2) Not in a theatre, 3) Ringu, etc. already moved that bar. Didn't matter. Although predictably typical of the genre, the story was great, it was done and told well. I really got into it, watching it unfold at a good pace, so I didn't keep jumping ahead mentally. That ending shot was EXCELLENT. JUST EXCELLENT.

It really explores the Karma theme well, although I don't think those bastards suffered enough...except for Tun. I'm familiar enough with Thai culture to pick up some meanings, like the Buddhist scenes, but I'm sure I missed a lot. So I'm going to rent it if I can find it. Bears a second viewing, this time with some Googled background. Must ask my Thai friends to watch and clue me in to things to pick up on too.

Wonder how the American version'll stand up. They've usually been very disappointing to me. But I'll still rent it when it gets to the shelves, just for curiosity.

No comments: