Saturday, July 12, 2008

SFMOMA - Frieda Exhibit

Not my area, nor my preference, but a nice exhibit. Definitely worth a visit. Very packed, which was wonderful to see, on one hand, but on the other hand, annoying as hell trying to appreciate artwork while negotiating the crowds. Will return during the week.

The exhibit was a comprehensive representation of her overall work. There were over 40 pieces, I think, along with numerous photos, a separate section on her stay in SF, and even a short home video. Many, many self-portraits - understandable, considering her setbacks. The Mexicano-pueblo indigenous style that she was so fiercely proud of is not as appealing to me as original Aztecan-Mayan archaeological works, which I appreciate. But both Hubby and I can appreciate the emotions that's practically flung on the canvas. Raw expressiveness is dramatically evident in her depictions of her miscarriage and her brace, but the one that left the most impression on us was "Two Friedas", which was also a large scale painting.

Prompted us to rent the movie, which was just ok.

No comments: