Don't remember when I went last, so I need to visit again soon! Cleaned out one of my purses and discovered these notes for a past visit, no date. I'll make sure to sneak some pics next time, but meanwhile, I'll place-hold the images with ones from the Legion's website.
Konstantin Makovsky, The Russian Bride's Attire, 1887.
Very large-scale work, well composed, excellent brushwork, luminous colors. There's so much to see here, from the excited expressions of the children, to the sadness of the bride, to the worried looks of her friends, to the blasé been-there-done-that-many-times expressions of the matriarchs, ending with the father(?) at the doorway. The ceiling itself is amazing. Wish I knew more about Russian history, how romanticised the artist rendered the scene, and how it really was.
Jean-Lèon Gèrôme, The Bath, 1880-1885
Dunno why I love this so much - excellent composition, juxtaposition of contrast colors, or feeling like I could be transported to that bath (like the Russian Bride too), but this is just a really wonderful piece.
The Petrona Award 2026 - Longlist
2 weeks ago
2 comments:
Hi, what a lovely, interesting blog you have!!! I too am an orchid, kitty and art lover.
Not necessarily in that order.
I need to post photos of my orchids too, i am in florida so
the humidity is great here for them i have a bakers rack on the lanai with about 20 different types so i have at least 2 to 3 blooming at all times.
thanks again
kate
Thank you! Sounds like you have a sizable collection, nice! Am green with envy at your Fl growing conditions, esp. since my temps just hit 40, and it's garage time and lights for the outdoor orchids.
Post a Comment