Friday, September 25, 2009

Book - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo


Very cliché, both in "shocking" plot twists and characters. It really reads like two books, and when you're thinking it's finished, there's a whole other mini-story at the end. What saves it is that despite its faults, it manages to be very entertaining, and I still really enjoyed it. The "girl" of the title is a very interesting character, and I wanted to know more of her. I think many of the wild rave reviews is because she really hits a cord with anyone who's fantasized about revenge or vigilantism - such a societal misfit, but still brilliant, very strong and ingeniously capable of dealing with injustice, especially against women. The journalist, on the other hand, gahhh.

The whole book is a recognizable mash-up of other mystery writers' plots, and to the author's credit, he does acknowledge the wholesale lifting of said plots by mentioning the mystery writers, including Val McDermid. You can figure out the story immediately if you've read A Place of Execution, and Robinson's Aftermath (not mentioned).

No comments: