Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Book Club - Beekeeper's Apprentice

Ok discussion today. Book not bad. Well-written, well-plotted, and the villian was a surprise, despite all the clues well scattered throughout the story. Big Holmes fan, and this was a wonderful portrayal that really brought him alive in an authentic manner. I could practically see him come to life. Wonderful. Only gripe I had was the whole soft-hearted side that presumably kicked in in his old age? I don't buy that part.

The girl, not so much. Didn't care for her, and she never grew on me. Parts of the characters' actions made no sense, and Britain never really comes alive or feels authentic. It's like the author didn't know diddly about London or the English, but was describing sets or something. Confusing.

Plot: Told from the point of view of a girl who bumps into Holmes at age fifteen, and is a match for his ferocious wit and deductive powers. He starts to apprentice her, and end up partners. Series of small cases, then their big case, when someone seems hell-bent on killing one or all of those closest to Holmes.

No comments: