Ahhhh....we've come to a basic truth about how we see the finished product. O thinks irregular edges and water spots on the concrete are just fine. Broom hairs that got left behind are also ok in his book. He thinks of them as unimportant 'details'. I think otherwise. Expected smooth edges like the industrial concrete I see elsewhere. Turns out he charged me less because he didn't think he had to really deal with a more professional look, but he now realizes I really wanted that. Too bad we didn't figure that out BEFORE the pour. If I'd known that earlier, I could have shaped up the edges myself when the concrete was still wet.
I'm equally responsible. I did see irregular edges in his other projects, but didn't think to question him about them. He also didn't care much about the hairline crack at the thin edge of one project. That should have clued me in. He's more focused on structural soundness, etc. That aspect of the project I'm very confident in.
He's unhappy now that he thinks he didn't deliver what I wanted, but I'm a bit more hardened about his sensitivity to any criticism. Annoyed and done with feeling bad about 'hurting his feelings'. He just has to deal. He's the contractor.
Bottom line: The finished product is something I like and can live with. I'm just not thrilled right now. I'm paying more attention to everything right now 'cause it's new and there's nothing out there. I think once I get used to it, and start putting furniture out, I won't focus so much on all the imperfections. Overall it turned out pretty good.
Bad part of this whole thing is now he'll charge me extra on any future work, thinking I'll be 'this picky' on everything. His planting & designing abilities, now that's superb. No problems there. But bummer. Must go shopping for another guy, I think.
The Petrona Award 2026 - Longlist
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment