Friday, June 19, 2009

Beautiful Weather

Ahhhh, finally warm and sunny yesterday and today! Spending a lot of time outdoors. Moving the plants back out to the patio, and bought some cute flowers for the planters.

One more cym done. Unfortunately it split into 4.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you say "Unfortunately it split into four. .. " what do you mean by that? Is the orchid still alive? (Forgive newbieness **blushes**)

LKPCA said...

Hey, ask away! All questions are good. I LOVE talking orchids.

It's alive and healthy, but it naturally divided into 4 separate plants. Typical of large cymbidiums, when the old bulbs (usually in the middle) die off. I can explain more if you want. Here's an example: Lipper before and Lipper after. Some people are happy about the extra plants, but I like growing my cyms to specimen size, and I already have so many, I don't want extras. And you're not nearby for me to give them away to! LOL.

Cyms are incredibly hardy. A lot of people don't bother wrestling with the roots like I do, and just hack it all off, then stick all those egg-shaped bulbs into new bark. It'll grow. I'll post pics for ya.

LKPCA said...

Aha, I found a nice youtube video from ImogenStoneFlowers that demonstrates better what I've been doing to all those cyms!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the video! That was very clear and informative. . .but I'll tell you, I about died when she cut off the roots so short to the bulbs!! Yikes!! I can see why you wrestle instead of hack!!