Tuesday, March 10, 2009

SF Orchid Show

Just ok this year. Went on Sunday with couple friends - newbie orchidites. Think I inundated them with orchid trivia and info. LOL.

The displays weren't bad, tons of cyms this year - russet and orange colors predominated. Lots of phals, catts. Back to the safest basics, really. Some masds, other pleurothalids and odds and ends, but nothing like previous years. Or I was just having selective tunnel vision. Either way, it's always nice looking at tons of orchids.

I'd hoped to pick up some phrags and laelias, but there were very, very few, none worth buying. No-one's taking chances and growing specialty items. It was nice to see Andy's Orchids with a large booth, and I badly wanted to spend some money on him, but there wasn't anything that caught my interest.

Finally ended up buying 11 catts, mostly from Kawamoto and Blooming Orchid.

No comments: