Ok, I resigned myself to ending the series with Blood Rain. I was very surprised when more Zens came out, and decided not to read them. Until now. I'm at loose ends for detective serials, so here we are.
Getting back into Zen is like wrapping myself up in my favorite down comforter - so comfortable and familiar. I really missed him all these years. I'll re-read the series again after I finish End Games.
He's still the same irascible yet lovable detective, recuperating on some beach out in some unbearably lovely and homey town where people are actually nice and courteous to each other. Strange things are happening all around him, and he refuses to admit that they may be related to him. This book feels like more of a pause in between books than an actual stand alone mystery, so it's not a good one to jump into the series with. Some details really strain the imagination, but they're little ones, which I'm willing to overlook.
The Petrona Award 2026 - Longlist
2 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment