All my kid sisters' hair are all sleek, straight, and silky. They shampoo, air dry and it looks salon gorgeous. I was reminded of this on my sis' visit a few weeks back, especially after she made a comment (again) about how weird my hair was.
So how'd I miss out on those genes? What the HELL'S up with MY hair?!? It's got a serious identity crisis. It's curly in places, corkscrew in places, and wavy in places and straight in places. It's all the same in one way - unbelievably frizzy. After *I* wash and air dry *MY* hair, it fluffs up like a poodle. I wish I exaggerated. Hubby says I've got a whole 'fro going on.
Most unfair is that I'm a complete appearance minimalist, if well-groomed. I don't care to spend much time fussing over how I look. I don't like products in my hair. Most days I just put my hair in a ponytail, and be done with it. But even this has to be ironed and gelled to death before it's presentable, or I look like a crazy bag lady.
Fed up yesterday, I unearthed some good basic info online about frizzy curly hair. I'm tired of beating my hair into straightness. I should just accept that my hair's never going to be like my sisters. I'm not listening to my mother anymore about my "bad hair" being all my fault and to brush my hair even harder and "better". My hair is not damaged nor dry nor "bad". I have a sneaking suspicion that I have really curly hair.
Lots of tips to try. First I'll concentrate on all the dryness and ironing damage, to reduce the frizz. I'm still looking for good sites, techniques, and products to try. The videos on monkeysee.com are very instructive. I liked this article on controlling frizzy hair.
I'm so excited. I'm looking forward to the day I can just put some product in my hair, twist, air dry, and look great. Not as simple as my sisters' hair, but close enough. I'd be happy.
The Petrona Award 2026 - Longlist
2 weeks ago
No comments:
Post a Comment