Friday, February 6, 2009

Rant - Fee Nondisclosure

Ok. I like getting things for free. I freely admit it (lame pun intended). But I don't mind paying for things I think are worth it. Like picking small local businesses, and I'm happy paying a little more for it.

So for a termite inspection, that's what I do. The first guy's real upfront on the phone with me, tells me he's so small he can't afford to come out just for a free look. Gives me a suggestion, sounds good. I go with that.

Second guy sounded like a medium-sized business, and the phone person schedules me after I say I just want someone to come take a look. No mention of money. I didn't ask. (Yeah, yeah, 'when you assume...'). Guy gets here this morning - excellent guy, by the book completely (a bit too much, but hey *shrug*), spends 40 minutes chatting and crawling around under the house. Great news: house, no problem! Bad news: deck, huge problem!

The problem comes at the end when he says, Great, that'll be $50. What? I don't mind paying it, but I would have liked to know up front, so I'm not surprised. That really ticks me off. He sees my surprise and displeasure. He also sees me consulting my notes, so he knows I'm not trying to weasel out of paying. I even tell him what Guy #1 told me. He offers to waive it, and he leaves.

But you know what? I just don't feel right about that. It's a small business, he took the time to come out and do 40 mins of work for me. I have to pay him. But I'm annoyed that I was surprised. I'm annoyed that I feel bad if I took the waiver. I'm just freaking annoyed to be put into this position. I'm just annoyed.

I know, I know, it's a very small thing. End of rant.

No comments: