Friday, July 17, 2009

Book - Borkmann's Point, a Van Veeteren Mystery

This was so boring!! I had a really hard time finishing it, and almost wanted to give up, which rarely happens to me. I usually like slower-paced, psychological works, and on first impression, this seemed to fit the bill. The author's revealed the killer by the earlier middle of the book, and from then on it's a chess game, with move and counter-move. That's when I got expectant, and got really disappointed. Can't tell if it's the writing, or the translation, but it was so tedious I didn't care anymore. Part of the problem could be that I'm not a chess fan, therefore many of the possibly clever allusions went over my head. Again, I still don't care about VV or any other characters, nor the setting.

I'm pretty tenacious, though, so on to the next installment. Still makes for better reading than so much of the other junk out there.

Someone's brutally, and literally, whacking people in a small town, where, coincidentally, VV's been on vacation. So he's roped into helping with the investigation, since he's already there.

No comments: