I don't care what others say, including Hubby. I loved this highly stylized retake on the whole good vs. evil religious theme. Yes, I agree the editing was poor. Yes, it's total camp, BUT sometimes camp is fun! The story grabbed me, and I was very entertained.
Never seen the original comics, but I think they probably translated it pretty well. I like Keanu Reeves even if he can't act - the looks factor earn him an automatic in, yummy! And I really Rachel Weisz, despite the goofy American accent for this film. Less painful than listening to many of the Americans with their awful British affectations (Wynona Ryder & the aforementioned Reeves in Dracula, anyone? Yecchhh.)
Just saw it again yesterday on HD, and it looks really beautiful. Weisz plays a cop who seeks to find the truth behind her twin sister's suicide, and teams up reluctantly with Constantine to battle the devil's son, who has an evil plot to take over Earth's rule from his daddy by using the twins as conduits.
The Petrona Award 2026 - Longlist
2 weeks ago
4 comments:
I loved it! I'd like to see it again at some point - I think I saw it several years ago. It had such an interesting take on everything - not the same o same o good versus evil.
I'm rather fond of the movie, too. But I have a strange fascination for biblical dystopias.
I'm with you all the way. The movie was so so but Keanu Reeves is very good to look at,which makes me watch everything he's in. :)
Nice to hear from other fans! BTW, I loved the music too, esp. A Perfect Circle, and Constantine End Titles.
QM, whenever you revisit this, definitely try to see it in HD - Hell looks absolutely amazing in beyond-technicolor. And apparently Hell's in L.A. LOL.
LFP, I really like 'biblical dystopias' (and the snark in your blog!). Must find somewhere to use it, but I'm not going to sound as clever as you.
E, yup!! Definitely excellent eye-candy. But (gasp!)...I wasn't thrilled with him in Dracula - another excellent campy one I just re-watched. Gary Oldman did it for me in this one.
Post a Comment