Friday, July 17, 2009

Book - Mind's Eye, a Van Veeteren Mystery

Read this sometime last month, maybe? Just like Mankell's series, the publishers released this first one as the 3rd book, I think. So I started with this. It was just ok. I wasn't thrilled as I was with Wallander, since I couldn't figure this guy out, and didn't really care to try. Who sticks a toothpick in his mouth anymore?! *eye rolling* I don't mind cliches, but this one really bothered me. At least the subtle humor was engaging, and the story ok, even if it was really disappointing to know who the killer pretty much at the start. The location and other characters weren't very engaging to me either. Glad I decided to rent them from the library first, won't be buying them.

Nice teacher gets put away for killing his wife. Had an alcoholic blackout, no defense, gets convicted and killed while in jail. Things look much darker as they start digging below the surface of these seemingly ordinary people.

No comments: