Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Art Book - Half-Life of A Dream: Contemporary Chinese Art

Remembered to pick it up yesterday when we visited again. It's a companion catalogue to last year's exhibition at the SFMOMA. Haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but the few paragraphs I did glance at really ticked me off - somewhat pretentious and patronizing. Will reserve final judgment for later. I bought it mainly to get pictures of the works I really liked. Don't like that so many of the pics are so tiny, and that many descriptions are lined vertically. Trying so hard to be different or contemporary. Oh puul-eeeaze.

Cover - nice hard-bound padded.

From Daily Meanderings

From Daily Meanderings

Yang Shaobin's Untitled 1999, oil on linen
From Daily Meanderings

Liu Wei's Two Drunk Painters, 1990, oil on canvas
From Daily Meanderings

Zeng Fanzhi, Mask Series No. 10, 1998, oil on canvas.
From Daily Meanderings

Yan Lei, Super Lights-Dog Year New York, 2006, oil on canvas. Still can't figure out if I like this or not, but it really disturbs me, so it's notable.
From Daily Meanderings

No comments: