Friday, August 21, 2009

Book - The Chalk Circle Man

I didn't expect such a fast read. Done in one sitting couple nights ago. And I had to read it in English, since I couldn't get a French copy earlier, and I was very curious.

It was very good. The mystery itself is excellent and engrossing. I was really engaged in unraveling the many threads, and was constantly and pleasantly working out what was going on. There's several weaknesses, like the impossibility that only one woman ever sees the guy drawing that many circles.

The narrative itself is a slow, leisurely stroll among a lot of colorful characters, with lots of tangential witticisms and general observations on life and the human condition. Since I was in the mood, they were fun, but I could see it getting irritating.

Adamsberg is really interesting. He doesn't do conventional detective work, but instead figures things out through osmosis. He seems really vague and unfocused, both in his methods and as a character. Not sure yet if I like this or not. But I definitely want to continue reading the series.

No comments: