Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Art Book - Paintings of The Prado, Bulfinch Press, 1994

Another review I kept meaning to publish. I'd scoured this book and had made a list for when I made my visit to the Prado. I was ecstatic when I finally got to stand in front of one of my favorite works of all time, Las Meninas, by Diego Velázquez. To sustain the memories, I studied this book some more when I returned, remembering works that I'd originally skipped over in the book but bowled me over in person. Very cool.

Beautiful, typical Bulfinch hardcover art book. Some of the works span two-page or four-page fold-outs. Translated from the original Spanish, and organized by the various schools - Spanish first, then Italian, Flemish and Dutch, etc. Each section has an overview of the salient characteristics of the schools and periods, then each work has a short but interesting description, oftentimes with historical tidbits thrown in. Crappier shots than usual, but then I'm not shooting professionally, you get the picture, LOL.

The cover. Of course we saw both of them, clothed and nude.

From Daily Meanderings

Las Meninas, Diego Velázquez. The sheer size of this painting was impressive. It's one thing to imagine how huge it is, but quite another to stand in front of it. I'd also done a huge paper on this, all complete bullshit, of course.
From Daily Meanderings


Witches Sabbath, or The Great Goat, Francisco de Goya y Lucientes. This collection really made an impression on Hubby. He really loved this room. Besides the four-page spread, there's also several details on following pages. The ruler is 18" long.
From Daily Meanderings


The Triumph of Death, Pieter Bruegel The Elder. No-one who sees this painting can be unmoved. It still holds such unimaginable horror even in this day and age.
From Daily Meanderings

No comments: