Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ordered More Wonderlites

One of the Wonderlites burnt out a couple months ago, and gearing up for winter, ordered another 3 from Full Spectrum. They really pull the catts thru the winter well, and the phals just LOVE them and bloom crazily under them. They get really hot (not good in summer), which also serves as a heat source in the winter.

They're way more convenient than fluorescents, even if they're less efficient energy-wise. That's an acceptable tradeoff for me - I conserve elsewhere.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so glad you posted this - our house is COLD in the winter time - so I was wondering what I should use to both provide the needed light and the needed warmth during the winter. I'll look into these.

LKPCA said...

Oh, I definitely endorse these! I love them because they're just like regular incandescents - just clamp them somewhere, and screw in the bulb. As a tradeoff for portability, the electricity bill goes up more than with tubes. I have fluorescents too, and they're a pain in the ass to hang and not jiggle or make sure no water gets on them.

Wonderlites claim to be full-spectrum, but I can't vouch for that - I just know that my phals love 'em. Again, they get pretty hot, so keep them at least 2 feet away from your plants. And watch the humidity. I've bloomed brassias and catts under them too.